Tips For The Perfect Low Sugar Hot Chocolate
January 12, 2019
1) Use unsweetened almond or coconut milk instead of regular cow’s milk or almond and vanilla flavored milks. Also, stay away from products that say ‘almond beverage’, as they are often much higher in sugar.
2) Use 2-3 tables of unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder per cup
3) Add ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
4) Use a low sugar sweetener such as erythritol. My favorite go-to brand of erythritol is Swerve, which comes in granulated, confectioners, and brown sugar forms. I use about 3 Tablespoons of granulated Swerve per cup of hot chocolate
5) Add a mixture of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract
6) For a foamier drink, pour the hot chocolate mixture into a blender and blend until frothy
7) Top with whipped cream. Sprinkle cocoa powder on top.